Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hello, Meatloaf!

Pin It



Some people might turn their nose up at Meatloaf because it seems old or boring. Some people look at meatloaf as a thing to accomplish,make it bigger, better, add bacon, add super secret ingredients. Whatever! But the key to my meatloaf shaped heart is simplicity. Keep it simple and it will get you every time. 

This meal is special because I made a side sauce to go over the mashed potatoes and meatloaf that I recreated from a version of a sauce I recently had in Bermuda. My husband and I recently went on an amazing Bermuda Holiday ( Kerry-Leeism;) and came home with unfortunately only a few good things to say about the food. This sauce we had the last day at the hotel brunch was a staple of the Bermudian people and we loved it. I poured mine over a boiled potato and a slice of prime rib, but this sauce can top really anything you want. This is my interpretation- at least I hope any Bermuda loving person will appreciate it.


Looks like worms- oops! you get the idea!

Bermudian Tomato Goodness

1 Whole Onion sliced
1 can crushed tomatoes-with the juice- or whole tomatoes
3 garlic cloves diced
1/4 cup beef stock or any kind you like
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Again keep it simple. Put a few tablespoons of the olive oil in the pan and add the onions and garlic when hot. The onions should cook down until they are slimy and clear about 15 min on low-med heat. Add the can of tomatoes and the stock. Add salt and pepper to taste. After 15min or so when the sauce has reduced and it's like a tomato paste add the rest of the olive oil. The sauce should be chunky with the onions and tomatoes, if you feel it gets too thick add a little more broth. Now this can be served over potatoes and meatloaf, or anything your heart desires!

Now for the Meatloaf! 
A plate of Happiness


"Mama says knock you out" Meatloaf ( it just sounds right)
 
1lb. really good beef, grass fed if you can afford it
1 egg
1 can whole tomatoes- Juice and all-I used the Italian style
1/4 cup crushed matzo crackers- this is what I had in my house but you can use any cracker crushed into crumbs
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon pepper
 5 tablespoons ketchup

I have no special method, I actually put all the ingredients in my kitchen aid with the paddle attachment on low and drop the ingredients in one at a time and when it was all combined it went into the loaf pan. Make sure you spray your pan first. Put the meat mixture in and top it with the ketchup. Bake for 45 at 350. Dig into that juiciness and tell me you don't love meatloaf-
Our meatloaf was served with mashed potatoes mixed with real butter and sour cream and salt and pepper- I also cut up some broccoli and topped it with olive oil and salt and pepper and roasted in the oven at 375 for about 10-15 mins. Yum!!!!

Extreme makeover- Broccoli Edition- Before pic-



  • Just a side note for parents- my kids won't eat a slice of meatloaf because it looks, well, like a log of meat, but they will eat anything formed into a ball- Meatballs!!! Shape some of the meat mixture into balls a bake on a sheet pan for 15-20 mins.- yeah they have no clue and thank God they can't read this blog yet, Ha!
  • My advice with ground beef in any dish is not to over mix, it will become tough and dry. Only add what you need and mix until it's well combined. 

  • Canned tomatoes should be a staple in your house, or if you're awesome you can jar them yourself. But really they can make a quick  meal juicy and  a stew flavorful. I didn't realize how much I use them until I was speaking to my mother-in-law about them and I sounded like an infomercial for Costco packs of canned tomatoes


I can't wait for you to make real comfort food and deliberately make time daily for your family, to love on them in this simple way!







No comments:

Post a Comment