Friday, May 20, 2011

Mama Mia!

Homemade pizza has been on our weekly schedule for quite a few years. As a family we only really order pizza when we are in a pinch because the end result of homemade pizza makes us so happy and full! My brother and sister-in-law recently started to not eat meat, they also aren't too keen on dairy much like in our house. Well, Long story short we made a few vegetarian pizzas and my brother made a combo of his tofu parmigiana on the pizza with soy mozzarella. We had a blast and stuffed ourselves silly!
This bottle is for my Olive Oil- I converted an old Evian bottle! I Love It!


Toppings: Turkey pepperonis, red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, FRESH mozzarella


Now I must tell you an amazing take on this homemade pizza, BBQ the pizzas on the grill!!!!! Yes, this is the most amazing outcome, and really I think I only tried once. I was at a bridal shower for a great friend and one of the quests gave the bride a pizza dough recipe and told me the only way she cooks the pizzas is on the grill. Um, yeah, revelation in my mind. So we did it!!! It did take two people to help put them on but coming off was super easy!

Another must for Pizza is fresh mozzarella- those are the weird balls you see floating in water at the grocery cheese section, the freshness tastes amazing and it melts super pretty too. Plus you'll wanna munch on it while your cooking too! 

We are grillin'


The Dough- dun dun duuun!!!! I pretty much was angry at the world because my dough recipe I tried first time bombed, luckily I had my parents grab some store bought on the way home. But just to spite that recipe I tried another one so then we could have it in the house- Of course this came from Julia Child's cook book, "From Julia Child's Kitchen". It's sort of the long way around, but it happened to be the book I picked up from the library the other day.  I will do my best to update soon with a really simple recipe for dough- In fact I know my sister-in-law has one!


 Speaking of her... She arrived with these amazing homemade marshmallows for a S'more surprise for the kids!!! I didn't get to have one but even the dog was licking up the gooey goodness. Alton Brown's Recipe for yummy Marshmallows !
"How can I have S'more of something if I haven't had anything?"- Sandlot


I served the pizza with a easy greens with a lemon vinaigrette, I even had to concoct my own Dijon Mustard! This is a good go to in a pinch and very flavorful- You can add fresh shaved Parmesan on the greens to look real fancy too!


Lemon Vinaigrette:
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 1/2 cup good olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
 6 servings

 Happy Pizza Making- And don't hate the world if the first dough doesn't work- Thank God flour is cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment