Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mikey's Vegetarian Breakfast Quiche

"I like quiche."
"I thought real men didn't like quiche?"
"Well, it seems my reputation had preceded me here."
"You not a real man?"
"Not lately." -Swingers

I had to preface this recipe with that quote from one of my all-time favorite movies, Swingers. I too, like Mikey from swingers, am a man that likes quiche. Since going vegetarian, I'm trying to find great recipes that are tasty and offer nutritious alternatives to their meat versions. I'm a big breakfast eater and fan of it all around. I work early so making breakfast before work is impossible on those mornings I just can't get out of bed. This is a great recipe to make ahead of time and be able to heat a slice up each morning for breakfast.

Recipe
-Bake a frozen pie crust in oven according to instructions. Usually you defrost for 10 min. then cook for 10 min. at 400 degrees (bring oven down to 375 to bake quiche after pie crust is done)
-While that's baking, saute 1/4 package of vegetarian ground sausage, 1/4 cup chopped onion in tbsp. of oil and add to baked pie crust
-Next, beat 3 eggs, 2 cups Almond or Soy milk (original, Vanilla flavor will come through in quiche) thoroughly and pour into pie crust
-Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, adding soy Cheddar cheese 10 minutes before it's done to melt it
-Goes great with a few slices of avocado and some salsa over the top of each slice!
Serves 4-6











No comments:

Post a Comment