Saturday, June 11, 2011

Quick Pseudo Paninis

It's been a hectic but great week. The kids finished school on Friday, yipee! And last Sunday through Tuesday we went camping up in Malibu and had an amazing family getaway. Yesterday I realized I have been in a cooking slump because I haven't been able to go grocery shopping since we came home. I needed to work with what we had in the house and it was rolls, provolone and sliced turkey meat, so in my brain the light bulb clicked, PANINIS!!!! I had Dominic wrap bricks from the backyard up in foil and placed the sandwiches on the grill with a plate over and bricks on top and you have a cheap style panini grill. Also while we are on the talk of grocery shopping I have stumbled across this free template for a grocery list online, smart shoppers click here, I tested it today and it was really helpful and I didn't over buy which is huge for me! 


So tonight we reused that mechanism for flat bread paninis. Again I already had flat bread which is a must to have all the time and some chicken breast frozen so it was a done deal. My mom has this great indoor grill pan so we used that, but if you can throw them on the Bar B, more power to ya! I have a slight fear of propane (not sure why) so I like Lee to start the grill but he was working. 
I was so hungry I almost forgot to take a picture so it's half eaten!



I also had time to throw in some garlic to roast in the over for future endeavours throughout the week and this is how you can do it: 

Garlic Loves Lovers     (I think I made a new bumper sticker)
Take a whole head of garlic still in the skin and cut the top off so you expose the bottom 3/4 of the cloves, place it on some foil and drizzle olive oil on the whole thing. Wrap it up in the foil and bake for 45 min at 350. The aroma is amazing and you can use it to add to dressings, rub on toasted bread and add to homemade hummus. The possibilities are endless. 


Bricks on Sandwich, who knew!

Cabinet Staple Panini
Sliced Roasted chicken breast- about 4-6 slices per sandwich
2 Tablespoons marinara sauce per sandwich
Fresh mozzarella sliced- about 3 on each slice of flat bread
1 whole flat bread sliced in half- I used whole wheat- Per person
any other toppings you like

The only trick I realized it to make sure the cheese isn't hanging out the sides because it squeezes out. Also make sure you put cheese on each of the sides of flat bread so it has something to stick to. You have two half moons for each sandwich so lay the toppings out on each side both sides getting equal amounts of chicken, marinara, cheeses and anything else. Place the two sides together and slap it on the grill with a flat plate on top and one or two foiled bricks on top, this is where the squeezing comes in. I used olive oil on my pan but you can use Pam on the grill to make sure it doesn't stick. Now enjoy!

Also if you are looking to prepare some chicken ahead of time I used this roasted chicken recipe to make ahead, slice and store for when I need it. 

Chicken breast, Bone-in, Skin-on 
Good olive oil
Salt and pepper
 Preheat oven at 350. Place the chicken breasts, skin side up, on a baking sheet and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool.Cut off the bone and discard skin and bone and slice to your preference.

Have a Blessed week, I hope we will now that summertime has finally come!

No comments:

Post a Comment