Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July! I had to give out this recipe just in case you had a potluck to go to today and had no idea what to bring. I had this salad, well a similar one, at a bridal shower and really enjoyed the freshness and dressing. This is a easy make ahead potluck dish so I hope it comes in handy. Lee's Grandma gave me the dressing recipe and I thought I would catalog this one for our future family gatherings.

I got excited and started pouring the dressing, this is an almost finished product

I'll bring the luck, potluck salad!
1 1/2 heads of butter lettuce torn into bit sized pieces
3 Roma tomatoes diced
3 green onions chopped
4 hard boiled eggs chopped
1/2 cucumber peeled and chopped
salt and pepper

Dressing
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1 package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Layer the bottom of a clear glass bowl or a trifle dish would be nice ( I don't own one) with the butter lettuce. You can use any lettuce you like but I love the texture of the butter lettuce. Add two of the three chopped green onions on top of the lettuce. Next layer the cucumbers and tomatoes on the lettuce give a nice sprinkle of salt and pepper over them. Top that with the eggs. and now after you have combined in a separate bowl the ingredients for the dressings spread it evenly on top over the whole salad, yes that's what I said, the top layer is ALL dressing! On top garnish with a light sprinkle of the third chopped green onion and I will top mine while it is going on a plate with croutons.  Serves 8-10 for a side dish



This is really a day ahead salad because it needs to be refrigerated for at least and hour before serving so the dressing can set but if you are in a pinch at least try to refrigerate for a half hour. But my policy is not to run around like a chicken with my head cut off so I like to be prepared and anything that can be done early I do early!!!!!!!


Enjoy your July 4th, and don't forget to pray for our troops and thank God daily for our freedoms!!!!

God Speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment