Thursday, August 4, 2011

Have some of Grandma's cooking and everything will be all right...

Pin It



I recently subscribed to a free email from a website called Tasting Table LA. Besides the website freakin rocking, they send out an email daily from great chefs from all over with amazing recipes. I have had this recipe tugging at my heart for days now and finally have time today and yesterday to make them. These remind me of my husband's Grandmother Marilyn because she loves carrot cake and so does his Grandfather. She makes an amazingly moist and delicious carrot cake from scratch. So I guess I really am making these for her. I also adore whoopie pies and the old time charm so I couldn't resist. I am bringing them to the Family reunion for her mother's side on Saturday at the beach and I think they will be a hit! Pop and Gram this one is for you.

Side Note: if you read this today you will have to get ingredients and prep and then bake tomorrow. The cookies take just a little bit longer to prep and store in fridge.






Pop and Gram Carrot Cake Whoopies
Recipe adapted from Claire Twesten, Talula's Garden, Philadelphia, PA

Cookies
2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped (I couldn't find it so I left it out)
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1½ cups of peeled and grated carrots (from about 2 to 3 medium carrots)
1 cup raisins, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained
 
Cream Cheese Icing
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1¼ cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons honey
12 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces, softened

For the cookies: In a medium bowl mix  together the butter with the brown sugar and granulated sugar until lightened, about 3 minutes. Slowly add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla. In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet, then gently stir in the oats, carrots and raisins. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least six hours or up to overnight. I did overnight. Preheat the oven to 325°. Scoop rounded tablespoons of the dough onto a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned and set, my oven took more like 15 minutes but adjust as you need to. Remove from the oven and set the cookies aside to cool. For the icing: In the bowl of a standing mixer or mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Slowly beat in the honey and cream cheese until incorporated. Spoon the frosting onto half of the cookies I used about 3-4 tablespoons on average for each cookie but feel free to add more or less; place the other cookies on top to create sandwiches. Serve immediately or store the cookies and frosting separately for up to 3 days.






Close your eyes while biting into this deliciousness and it takes you to a good place. Places of home and tradition, back to times when people enjoyed having new neighbors and loved sunday day trips. This is the stuff of nostalgia. Pretty FREAKIN' good if you ask me!!!!!!!!

God Speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment