Monday, August 1, 2011

How to make Perfect Homemade French Fries!

It's blazing hot where we live. I have lived here since I was 4 years old and I still complain about the hot summers. Today was about 102 with a lot of humidity and this makes for a crabby mother of three who has to keep her kids mostly indoors or barter with friends for a dip in their pool. So instead of slaving over the stove and heating the house to umpteen degrees we out-smarted the dang heat. We (my mother) threw the bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts in the BBQ to slow roast for about an hour and also reheated a nice baguette for our easy sandwiches in there too. I prepared very simple sandwiches with Fries.
I opted to only cook the french fries which I learned how to make from an Anthony Bourdain show on how to perfect simple dishes for every cook. I love his show and I put in the link so you can see the detailed fry recipe. I have come to like more of a home style fry possibly giving In-n-Out the credit, because they truly are my favorite fry. But really at home if you have potatoes that need a place in your food chain here is how you can help them out  a little.

This is how you do it!

 The Perfect Fry
5-6 small to medium size potatoes sliced in long pieces about 12 per potato ( I used the russet)
1-2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
Salt and pepper to taste

It's really funny how simple this is to do, but when I heard how the restaurants cook fries  I realized why mine always came out so bad. I had to pause and give thanks for someone who would enlighten the universe on how to cook GOOD FRIES at home.
 After the potatoes are cut you want to soak them in cold water for a few minutes and rinse them until the water runs clear. Don't skip this part! Get the oil heated in your large pan to about med to high heat. You'll know when small bubbles start to form around the first fry you drop in. You now want to cook them until the almost turn white and slimy about 7 minutes, don't over cook and don't put too many in at a time allow them to lay flat and not pile up. Take them out and drain them on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels. Once you are done cooking all the batches allow them to rest on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes or so. Yes that's right, pour yourself a glass of wine, play catch with your son or water your garden. Remember good food takes time. Now here is the tricky part (not really) do the same thing all over again. You are going to put the fries back in the hot oil and cook until the get that nice golden brown that Mickey-DEES does. Now put them on a new cookie sheet lined with paper towels to drain and salt and pepper them how you like. WOW! can you believe that, all they do is double fry! Maybe it's a good thing I never knew this, I have some time to work off the calories!
This is what the first frying looks like, see white coloring!


Simple Man's Sandwich
4 Roasted chicken breasts sliced
Sliced tomatoes
Mixed greens for topping
Pesto mayo ( 1 teaspoon of your favorite pesto mixed with 1/2 cup mayo)
French baguette enough for 4 people

Spread the warm baguette with the pesto mayo and top with chicken, tomatoes, and greens. A little drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper couldn't hurt any sandwich. 
 I also added a light spread of goat cheese on mine because, well I don't have a reason other than it's whole goodness!
For the roasted chicken please refer to our post for Pseudo Paninis on 6/11
The sandwich board
Proud to have our very own tomatoes from our backyard
 Stay cool my summer companions and try to out smart the sun! Create something new in your home or kitchen this week! Tell me what you did!
God Speed!

1 comment: